Sunday, June 23, 2019

Hong Kong Riots

 "I won't talk about protest in HK anymore,I want to talk about 'the riot' in HK."


We Chinese had the most painful experience at the hand of foreign powers
 for100s of years. We have survived and getting stronger. We aren't
going to help them to do it again to China.

It is quite obvious to me the only country that Sincerely wants HK to
succeed is mainland China. Anyone else really cares for us? No. It would
 be in their interest to see HK fail miserably to cause substantial pain
 to China. Before you go out to the street, know yourself first.<br />
I am chinese and I am moved.Why do you know China so well? I cant believe that there is a person who understands China. Good job,火锅大王,I support you(I am sorry my English is not very well)

Thank you so much, Nathan! I've been in the US for 6 years so far. My
mentality has experienced a few times of transformations from being
against whatever China is doing to being compassionate about what China
has been doing. Basically, it comes from what I've learned in
postcolonial studies literature. I've been very clearly aware of now how
 much pressure China's government has to face in today's "international"
 society (directed mainly by the US of course) and how strong they have
to remain to fight against the post-colonial forces that have poisoned
most of the world's land (90% of the world was colonized by the
Europeans during the past 500 years). Postcolonial studies has taught me
 to see the world from a more sophisticated lens in which history and
geopolitics should be interrogated!

In Fanon's "The Wretched of the Earth," Said's "Orientalism," and
Mbembe's "On the Post-Colony," I've heard heartbreaking cries of the
peoples in the former colonies that are barely heard still today. As
Mbembe mentioned, the power of colonization lies not only in the slavery
 of indigenous lands and bodies, but also in the colonization of
peoples' minds. This is exactly the case in Hong Kong today. The "New
Race" produced by the colonization already bears in their minds that
they are superior to their own people and they are so accustomed to
thinking that their internalized racism will make them look superior,
which is totally wrong. By simply and selectively forgetting what their
ancestors had experienced as the colonized does NOT and will NEVER make
them any different from slaves, who are used as instruments to fight
against their own people, culture, and government. It's such a tragedy.&nbsp;

Colonization has left around the world two things: VIOLENCE and CHAOS.
It is true in Latin America, in dozens of African countries, in India,
and anywhere else. These two things have made decolonization across the
world so difficult and the re-nationalization of Hong Kong extremely
traumatic!

Democracy "left" by the colonizers is not REAL democracy AT ALL. Do NOT
forget that in all colonies the colonizers practiced only racism and
apartheid rather than anything else. Only the democracy chosen by the
former colonized themselves after independence is the real democracy,
such as Lee Kuan Yew's Singapore or future China when its 60% people
have college education ready for its own democracy!

Although the separation makes HongKongers a different people, they're
still CHINESE anywhere they go in this world. Their claims for more
autonomy and freedom are legitimate but they need to learn how to make
constructive communication with their own people and government rather
than simply acting violently, or just ignoring what goods China has
brought to this world, or accusing today's China of any wrongdoings done
 decades ago by a totally different group of people, or naively
imagining what would go wrong in the future based on Western
demonization of communism while pretending not to see the endless wrongs
 of the US style of democracy in the past and today.&nbsp;

The STATIC way of contemplating China and Chinese people in mainland is
so ironically false given that many Hongkongers claim they're good at
critical thinking. As if Chinese in mainland are all dumb and lack of
independent thoughts. If so, who has been doing all the hard work to
enable China to achieve the great accomplishments today, which makes the
 US so scared of? And who have been selected into the most prestigious
universities around the world so that the US is so afraid that they
would bring the top-level technology back to China? IT IS CHINESE
MAINLANDERS, adequately worthy of your respect and pride, my dear fellow
 Hongkongers!

Plus, remember, with today's anti-Chinese sentiment in the West,
wherever you go, YOU, my dear fellow Hongkongers, will definitely be 
targeted as a 100% CHINESE as well!

It's time to WAKE UP now to decolonize your mind!

I was born in HK left HK to pursue further study in one of the Western
countries. My whole life has been raised and educated in classic western
 democracy. I have zero exposure to the communist China. But Nathan, you
 have 100% of my support, because I can follow the simple logic you have
 laid out in the video. I am not a proud British nor American I am a
proud Hong Konger and a proud Chinese.

At a time of external forces trying to pull Greater China apart, using
the most drastic measures, I ask myself what is my ROOT? My root
stretches all the way to China. I want HK to succeed, I want China to
succeed. I don't want HK and China to be split and fragmented due to
differences,misunderstandings and ignorance which is currently being
used very effectively by the external forces and their local proxies.

No comments:

Post a Comment